Friday, May 18, 2012

Embracing Alopecia: Wig-free and Loving it


This is from a college student who lost her all of her hair as a young girl due to a condition known as alopecia, and has hidden it by wearing wigs ever since, out of fear of how others might react. 
"Hey Sean,
I just wanted to let you know that I finally managed to go to school without my wig on, and it has felt great! All week I've gone without it and I am really glad that I have. It's not just that it is more physically comfortable, but I also feel like I'm truly being myself for the first time.
I can't even tell you how nice it is to be able to say that when I wear my wig it is because I want to and not because I feel like I have no other options. I've been so afraid for so long to let other people see this other side of me, but now I feel completely free to be myself whether that means wearing a wig or not.
I want to say thank you for helping me to be able to fully accept who I am for the first time in a really long time. You were right, people will respond the way that I show them to respond. I walked out with confidence and so far so good.
I have to say that the genuine shock on some people's faces was absolutely priceless, one guy in particular was really confused which was pretty funny to watch. I know that somewhere out there is someone that will probably say something stupid, but also thanks to you I'm prepared for it and the idea of it happening doesn't even phase me. In fact, I am almost looking forward to it so that I can show them what I am made of, because I really don't think they will see it coming (muwahahaha).
You really gave me my life back and helped me to put the power back into my own hands. Words cannot express how grateful I am for all that you have helped me to accomplish. I feel like I am ready for anything now."
Dielle Meyer
Atlanta, GA

No comments: